Looking at all these cool tech laptops on the market, you may be wondering if you can build a laptop with all the features you need.
Technically, this is possible.
However, creating a custom desktop isn’t that easy, but once you have all the components you need for your laptop, you can build it like a building, car, or device.
You can use the parts of your old laptop to configure it to create a new laptop.
Or you can purchase the latest components from an online retailer that offers high-quality products.
Creating your own laptop can be a bit tricky, but it’s worth it.
If you are a self-respecting geek, interested in computers, have sufficient hardware knowledge and some nanotechnology tools, you can definitely achieve it.
All you need to do is step by step how to assemble a new laptop and parts at the absolute lowest cost.
This is a guide for “How to Build Own Laptop Computer.”
Read more: How many watts does a laptop consume?
How to Build Own Laptop Computer? Easy 3 steps
Table of Contents
Step 1: Arrange All the Necessary Parts
1. Before we look at the parts of a laptop computer, the essential and necessary thing to understand is what purpose you want your computer to have.
You need to be familiar with the primary purpose of your laptop. Analyze some cases.
If you’re going to play high-end sports or games on your computer, you need to build a high-end laptop. High-end specifications are ultimately proportional to cost.
On the other hand, if you need a laptop for reading, checking email, and processing words, you can continue to use the built-in laptop with basic specifications.
These are usually portable, have smaller screen sizes, and are lighter weight than other screens. Batteries are an essential aspect that we cannot ignore.
2. Now, you can start by choosing your laptop processor. There are many processors on the market, but not all processors are bad, and not all are good.
It depends on your requirements. You can purchase the processor through an online retailer.
The great news is that you can compare processors in the portal.
The standard criteria for choosing a processor are the relationship between speed, heat dissipation, and power consumption.
You can choose from Intel or AMD processors. AMD processors are cheaper than Intel processors. Never buy a desktop processor. You can buy a mobile processor.
3. Next, you need to select a laptop case. The motherboard is integrated with the chassis.
The chassis cannot be customized, so the keyboard layout and screen size are not ignored.
As a result, the selected keyboard and screen size get stuck.
In the retail portal, you can enter a white paper shell or barebone notebook.
4. Purchasing memory for your laptop is the fourth step. Purchase SO-DIMM memory that fits the motherboard of the chassis.
You can choose 8GB RAM or 16GB RAM. It is best to perform all your daily tasks.
Keep in mind that fast memory can reduce battery life, but at the same time, improve performance.
5. Next, you need to buy a drive for your laptop. You can choose from SSD (Solid State Drive) or HDD (Hard Disk Drive).
However, SSDs are NVMe versions, so they perform much faster than HDDs. The best is due to its small M.2 size.
SSDs are more expensive than HDDs.
If you like HDDs, you can buy a 2.5-inch hard drive with standard RPMs of 5400-7200.
HDD users can purchase drives in the range of 500GB to 1.5TB size.
6. If you desire to play games or graphic design, you can buy a dedicated graphics card.
However, most laptop shells are not suitable for dedicated graphics cards. Nevertheless, the CPU still has graphics integrated.
7. Purchase an optional CD-ROM drive. Even most laptops today don’t have an optical drive.
An external USB optical drive has replaced the optical drive. Most work can be done using a memory card and a removable drive.
If necessary, make sure the optical drive you choose fits into your laptop casing.
8. When buying a battery, the shape and variety of the battery cannot be ignored.
There are many batteries on the market. We strongly recommend that you read the battery reviews before you buy them.
Step 2: Assembly of parts
1. You have now captured all the laptop parts you need. Here, rotate the shell and collect them one by one. Therefore, you need a jeweler driver.
Please make sure they are magnetic.
Put the laptop screws in a plastic bag, so you don’t lose them. If the screw falls into a crack, use needle-nose pliers.
Caution: First of all, electrostatic discharge quickly damages computer components, and all hard work goes to hell, so buying an antistatic wrist strap will help you stay grounded.
2. Rotate the front of the notebook computer so that the case faces you. Here you can place various previously captured components.
3. Next, remove the panel covering the drive bay. Here you need to repair the 2.5″ disk hard drive.
Bay conditions may vary depending on the chassis design. Most often, it is on the front of your laptop.
4. Inserting the hard drive is the fourth step. Most laptop hard drives are mounted around brackets that can be placed around the drive.
You can use four screws to ensure that your hard drive is securely attached to the frame.
You will naturally get information about the correct installation direction.
5. Now is the time to put the hard drive in the bracket. Apply enough pressure to secure the tape to the device.
Most screw holes are usually found in the frame.
Once the drive is inserted correctly, you can use special screws to protect the drive from the environment.
6. Once the hard drive is inserted correctly; you can attach the optical drive to your laptop shell.
How to install the optical disc drive depends on the structure of the laptop casing.
Optical drives are usually inserted from the front of the tray opening. Then slide it into the SATA connector.
7. After installing the optical drive, you need to remove the panel from the system board.
Don’t worry. It’s harder (difficult) to remove the panel covering the motherboard than to cover the hard drive panel and remove all the screws.
You can try it if you want.
8. Open the panel covering the motherboard to access the memory slots and the motherboard. It’s time to install the memory.
Then insert the SO-DIMM memory chip into the tilted slot.
To release it, push it down and snap it into place. Do not load too many memory cards to fit in one direction.
9. Now, the laptop installs the memory. Just check the CPU around the socket where the CPU is installed.
It would be best if you changed to the unlock position. You can use a flat-blade screwdriver to do this. Tilt the CPU up and check the pin position.
It would help if you found a pin in the corner. Must match the notch of the slot. Somehow it will be inserted into the slot.
If the CPU itself has no space, do not force it. This can cause the pins to pop out. After trying, install the CPU and then change it to the locked state.
10. Next, you need to install components such as a CPU cooling fan. You can get a fan and a CPU.
The thermal paste should be applied downstream connected to the CPU.
If it is not pasted, use it before installing the fan. Make sure the exhaust is aligned with the exhaust holes in the housing.
Do not force the fan or heater parts.
However, you can shrug. If necessary, a dust filter can be installed to prevent the ingress of dust from preventing heat generation.
Make sure there is no thermal paste on any of the components. It would help if you tilted the radiator at an angle until it is in the correct position.
After successfully installing the fan, connect the fan power cord to the motherboard.
11. Finally, after successfully installing all the components. It can be fixed simply by tightening the rear panel. Sufficient.
Step 3: Install the operating system and drivers
Make sure the battery is inserted into your laptop before installing the operating system and drive.
Make sure the battery is appropriately charged before you start your computer.
If the battery is working correctly, it is recommended to run MemTest86+. This ensures that the memory is functioning properly.
Memtes86 + can be downloaded for free from the internet. You will need a USB drive or CD to boot.
If the results are correct, you can continue with the operating system and driver installation.
1. If you already have a CD-ROM drive installed, you can continue.
Still, if you do not have a CD-ROM drive installed, you can use the operating system files to create a bootable USB drive. It’s up to you.
Install the Linux or Windows operating system.
Windows supports a wide range of software and hardware, but it is expensive.
On the other hand, Linux is a free operating system supported by a community of volunteer developers.
You can install any version of Linux, including Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc.
We recommend that you always use the latest version when installing Windows.
2. After successfully installing the operating system. You need to install the hardware driver.
In most cases, the operating system will automatically install the required drivers.
However, if you have a particular mandatory missing, you can use the CD with the first component you can buy.
Once the driver is successfully installed, you can use your laptop.
The next step is to make your new glossy computer look good. Sufficient!
This is how to build your own laptop computer – step by step process.
If you have any concerns or questions while following or implementing the above guidelines, please do comment below.
We will do our best to solve all your problems. Stay tuned for future updates.
FAQs on How to Build Own Laptop Computer?
Is it possible to build your own laptop?
It doesn’t make sense to try to make your own laptop unless you use most of the parts for free.
Laptops are different from desktop computers. You cannot put a motherboard/graphics/CPU card on your laptop as you want.
Is building a laptop worth it?
As you can see, building your own laptop is definitely an option (if you’re just thinking about adding CPU, RAM, and hard drives to your base kit, you really need to “build” it).
If you want to do this just for entertainment and experience, do it. There are no plans to save money on this process.
Is it cheaper to build your own laptop?
Many computer enthusiasts are reluctant to admit this, but PC makers can buy mass production. Even if you use tags, especially at the low end, they can usually be cheaper than creating tags.
Is building a laptop hard?
Although it is possible to create a laptop, it is usually a good idea to buy a predefined computer and customize it to suit your needs. The reason for this recommendation is that building a laptop is more difficult than building a desktop computer for several reasons.
What parts do you need to build a laptop?
The basic knowledge you need is a laptop case, processor, motherboard, RAM, HDD / SDD, optical drive, GPU, and power supply.
What is the most important part of a laptop?
The processor is one of the most important parts of your laptop because it allows your computer to work properly. It can read the code stored in your computer’s memory and tell others what the code does.
Is it better to build a laptop or buy one?
There are no mistakes when it comes to building or purchasing a gaming PC. it may be cheaper and more advantageous to build your own PC and provide additional customization capabilities. On the other hand, buying an off-the-shelf gaming PC is faster, easier, and generally more reliable.